This assignment is an analytical paper on ancient religious teachings. Research the teachings of Confucius and also the Noble Eightfold Path. Select one of these topics to write about as your first analytical paper. See below for the requirements.
This paper must be claim-based, a minimum of 750 words, and in essay form using several paragraphs.
– Students should incorporate recent MLA guidelines for format and citation.
– The paper requires a minimum of two scholarly sources (see below for more details).
– Essays should demonstrate a synthesis of argument/claim and source materials.
– A maximum of two quotes are allowed. Otherwise, use paraphrases to incorporate source material into your paper. Do not use long block quotes. Quotes should be one or two sentences only.
-This paper should not exceed 850 words.
Your analysis needs to look at the example of a religious treatise or belief system like an archeologist/historian would, analyzing what it means and how it reflects the culture it comes from.
The paper must include the following sections:
1. A detailed description of the treatise and what it entails. What “wisdom” does it provide?
2. Some background of the culture that produced this religious treatise. Your emphasis is on what the artifact tells us about the culture.
3. A well-argued analysis of what the work tell us about the culture from which it arose using details from it and known information about the culture. Consider what the significance of the work was for the people who first saw/heard/read it.
4. Finally, discuss how using the guidelines in these teachings can be applied to YOUR life. I will look closely for this at the end of your papers.
You must include at least two outside scholarly research sources in this paper.
Do not use general dictionaries, Wikipedia/Wikis of any kind, or study sources designed for students or teachers in grades K-12.
Scholarly Sources: For your analysis, you must use scholarly sources from legitimate academic journals. A journal is a magazine for scholars. They produce articles on a number of topics. You can use the JSTOR database
Sources that Present your Artifact in More Detail: You may also use a source to allow you to look in more detail at the cultural artifact you are discussing. A source that looks at the details will help you do your assignment better. Legitimate sources for the artifacts could include a tourist site for architecture, or an online museum site or video, and other scholarly locations.
Formatting: Each analysis should be 750 words or more, double-spaced, and in Arial or similar font size 11 or 12. Use MLA format for your works cited list.
Insights and Understanding
Demonstrates a clear understanding of the complexity of the underlying cultural issues of the topic. (25pts)
Appropriate use of source material and/or citations
Citations are mandatory after any quoted material and must be used after paraphrased or summarized material taken from an external source. Citations are formatted using MLA style. (20pts)
Essay is clear and develops the ideas required by the assignment. (20pts)
Organization, Grammar, Mechanics, and Spelling
Writing is logical and effective. Flawless spelling and punctuation. (10pts)